Taco lovers: You owe it to yourselves to indulge in these delicious meatless tacos! Topped with guacamole, these crunchy tacos with a hearty mushroom filling won’t let you down in the flavor department. Transform your family’s Taco Tuesday with this oil-free entrée.
Recipe from the “So Tasty!” cookbook.
Note: These tacos can also be enjoyed with soft tortillas.
FOR THE BLACK BEANS
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
FOR THE MUSHROOM FILLING
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- vegetable stock
- 30 button mushrooms, stemmed and chopped
- 2 ½ tablespoons (non-spicy) chili powder
- 1 ½ tablespoons paprika (plus more for tomato salad)
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- sea salt
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice (from about 2 limes), divided
- 2 ½ tablespoons natural tomato sauce
FOR THE TOMATO SALAD AND GUACAMOLE
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado
- garlic powder
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 6 hard-shelled tacos
- hot sauce (optional)
- Saute the garlic in a bit of vegetable stock in a saucepan over medium heat; add the chopped mushrooms and sauté, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms shrink and become chewy. Add the chili, paprika, dried minced onion, sea salt, and a couple of tablespoons of fresh lime juice; stir well to combine. Add the tomato sauce and cook, stirring occasionally. Taste and add more tomato and/or spices, if desired.
- Make the tomato salad: Combine the diced tomatoes, red onions, and cilantro in a bowl and squeeze some fresh lime juice over; season with paprika and sea salt to taste.
- Make a quick guacamole: Mash the avocado in a separate bowl and season with sea salt, garlic powder, and lime juice to taste.
- Prepare a bed of lettuce for the black beans.
- Heat the taco shells. Build each taco, starting with the mushroom base, followed by the guacamole, then finish with the tomato salad on top. Drizzle with hot sauce (if using). Serve with black beans (simply heat and season as desired).