Hash browns are comfort food, and they don’t have to be heavily fried to be good. The added garlic makes them irresistible.
- 2 Yukon Gold potatoes, shredded
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 to 3 large kale leaves, shredded
- Pinch of salt
- Option: 2 cups shredded sweet potato instead of Yukon Gold potatoes
- Preheat your oven to 375° F. Rinse the shredded potatoes and pat them dry. Toss them with the salt and pepper. Spread the shredded potatoes on a baking sheet lined with a silicon baking mat. Bake the shredded potatoes for 10 minutes. Remove the sheet from the oven and toss the potatoes with the minced garlic, then spread them back on the mat. Return them to the oven and bake them 5 more minutes.
- While the potatoes are baking, lightly saute the shredded kale over medium heat in a large pan with about ⅛ inch of water and a pinch of salt in it. Do not replenish the water when it evaporates. It is only there to get the kale to quickly wilt. Once the kale has completely softened, about 8 to 10 minutes, set it aside and let it cool until you can comfortably handle it. Squeeze the kale to get rid of excess water, then toss it a bit to separate the cooked shreds.
- Plate the crisped potatoes, top it with the kale, and serve.
Option: Substitute 2 cups shredded sweet potato for the shredded Yukon Gold potatoes.